Big Pit National Coal Museum including the Underground Tour is open every day.
The Museum remains free to enter, with Underground Tour tickets available to book free of charge from Monday 13 September
However, to keep visitors and staff safe, the number of people on site at any one time has been reduced. To manage this, all visitors entering the site will need to have booked a free ticket in advance. Sadly, if you don’t book and present a valid ticket, you’ll be turned away. No exceptions. If you are responsible for an organised group, and would like to book for 7 or more people, please call: 029 2057 3650
Visitors are still required to wear a face covering indoors and to practice physical distancing. (Please note – a visor is not considered to be a face covering by the Welsh Government.)
- Pre-booking is essential;
- General entry tickets must be booked as well as Underground Tour tickets. The Underground Tour ticket is not valid unless you have booked a general entry ticket;
- Ticket numbers are limited so book early to avoid disappointment;
- Please arrive in plenty of time before the allocated time slot for your tour as late arrivals cannot be accommodated and tickets will not be refunded;
- If you need to cancel your visit, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can re-allocate your tickets to someone else;
- There will be no more than 6 people plus a guide on each tour and this could be mixed households;
- It is mandatory for all individuals going underground to wear a face covering for the duration of the tour (including children and those normally medically exempt) – this is to protect you and our guides. There will be no exceptions to this rule;
- Please wear warm clothing and sensible footwear;
- Children must be over 1 metre tall to go underground and all children aged under 16 must be supervised by someone aged 16 or over;
- Minimum of 2 people per underground tour, 1 person tours cannot be accommodated for safeguarding reasons. If you are booking a single ticket it is recommended that you book as early in the day as possible;
- Underground tours will take approximately 50 minutes;
- Visitors are expected to put on their own safety equipment with guidance from staff.